Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Learning Story


How I learned to define my eyebrows….

            When I was in high school I was a member of our dance team formally known as the Southwest DeKalb “Dancing Divas”. We were a part of the Marching Panthers Band and performed at pep rallies, football games, and some basketball games. Each performance required us to wear make-up, like eye shadow, lashes, mascara, etc. Because I was captain and better at applying make-up, I would be responsible for making all of the girls look pretty and uniformed. Instead of doing my own eyebrows and lashes, I would go to a local make-up artist named Princess before each game. She was very good at defining my eyebrows and applying false lashes. However, Princess became very expensive and soon enough I was leaving Atlanta to attend college here at UGA. In order to save time and money, I invested in my own cosmetic supplies. I originally began learning how to define my eyebrows by watching video tutorials on YouTube. I would just sit at my computer for hours at a time and watch the different techniques that people used. I formulated my own technique my gathering info from the many videos that I watched. Make-up is something that is continuously changing; I find it easier to customize a method that works best for you.
            The steps that I use are quite simple! First I use Anne’s eyebrow razors to shape and clean my original eyebrows. Then, I take a moisturizing cream and apply it to the area that I shaved. After the moisturizer sits for a while, I sharpen the desired eyebrow pencils I am using. I usually use two shades of eyebrow pencils and two shades of eyebrow powder, a darker and a lighter one. I take the darker pencil and outline the bottom portion of my eyebrows slightly extending the ends. I take the lighter pencil and draw a line over the top portion of the brow stopping where the arch peaks. After I completed these steps on both eyes, I take the darker powder and fill in between the lines, but only on the outer parts of my eyebrows. I use the lighter powder for the inside of my brows to give it a faded effect. When I finish filling them, I take an angle brush and apply concealer underneath my brows to give it a highlighted, more perfect look and simply blend it out. Some people choose to put concealer on top of their brows as well, I personally like that look myself but it is up to that person if they want that extra highlighted effect.
            I found that doing my makeup myself saves a lot of money and also allows me ample time to practice on my friends and family. I find that the more I do people’s eyebrows, the better my skills are!

No comments:

Post a Comment